Many use digital marketing and social media marketing together. They believe that participation in various social media platforms is digital marketing, but this is only part of it.
Digital marketing is a comprehensive term that encompasses all types of marketing activities that a brand performs digitally, both online and offline, to promote its services or products. Social media marketing, on the other hand, is one of the marketing channels for digital media. It includes marketing on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
What is Digital Media Marketing?
According to the dictionary, marketing is a company that promotes a company’s products or services to make them more visible to people and increase sales. Adding the word “digital” to marketing means using digital media channels to promote products or services.
The purpose of digital marketing is to implement a variety of customized digital media marketing channels with one of the following objectives:
- To grow your products or services sales and profits
- Create your brand awareness and build a strong relationship with your target audience
- Create and add value
- Promote your products or services or brand
- And many more!
Remember that to achieve your goals, you don’t have to include all the available digital media marketing channels in your marketing campaign. Digital marketers develop a customized digital marketing strategy that includes the most appropriate digital marketing channels that fit your business, your target audience, and of course, your budget.
Using all digital marketing channels is not a wise decision and does not have the right effect. The choice of digital media channels depends on the industry, business, and type of audience. Because of this, you often need to test, make changes, retest and measure the results of your digital marketing campaign and decide what works best for your brand or business. Based on these results, you can abandon digital marketing channels that do not offer satisfactory growth or return on investment.
What exactly is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing is just one part of digital marketing. It means using social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Goggle +, Snapchat, etc. to market your products, services, or brand. This usually involves engaging with your target audience, followers, finding industry influencers, publishing fresh and unique content, organizing competitions, and using any other means to get public attention through a variety of social media channels.
What is Digital Marketing Tools?
Modern digital marketers need to be active on multiple platforms simultaneously to stay up to date with their competitors. Whether you want to dig into information or data or fine-tune your marketing strategy, numerous digital marketing tools will help you save time and keep your sanity. Some strategy-driven digital marketing tools include:
- Email marketing
- Paid social media marketing
- Video hosting tools
- Social media channels
- Website analytics
- Content creation tools
- SEO tools
- Customer service tools
- Affiliate marketing
- Display retargeting
- Organic social media marketing
- Content curation
Why Should You Include Social Media Marketing in Your Digital Marketing Campaign?
The modern world has become more and more social. Studies show that Internet users spend nearly 30% of their online time on social media platforms. If you want to place your business in front of people and expand your reach globally, social media marketing is a must for your business.
Most companies and brands experience a faster response rate from social media marketing campaigns compared to other forms of digital media marketing. But this is not enough to achieve the set marketing goals. To get the most out of it and achieve the highest return on investment, companies and brands need to incorporate other digital marketing components into their digital marketing campaigns and not just focus on social media marketing.
Digital Marketing versus Social Media Marketing
After reading the explanations above, you need to be clear that social media marketing is only part of digital marketing. A comparison of the two pages gives you the following:
- Digital marketing uses both online and offline digital means to reach its target audience, while social media marketing is limited to online boundaries.
- Your digital media marketing campaign can use a variety of channels such as mobile ads, TV, online advertising, text messaging, etc., while social media marketing can focus on one or more social media channels like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.
- The success of your social media marketing campaign depends largely on your content strategy. This means you need to keep publishing fresh and unique content to your social media accounts so you can interact with your target audience. In digital marketing, you can only use banner ads on multiple digital platforms, such as television, the Internet, or billboards, to promote your products, services, or brand.